Every resistance band lover once upon a time, must have asked the question about the reparability of resistance bands.
It is worth noting that the latex rubber used in resistance bands can’t live for an infinite time. After all, latex rubber is just a rubber made from natural sources. The Resistance bands have a limited life span of two to three years, depending upon usage.
Here we have made a handy list of issues that you may have to face with resistance bands over the period.
We have also addressed each symptom and suggestions based on my own experience in the field of resistance bands.
So how can resistance bands be repaired? The kind of action recommended for repairing the resistance bands depends upon the kind of symptoms as under
- If the latex rubber of the resistance band has deteriorated, it should be replaced altogether.
- If the joint at the end of resistance bands has got damaged, that can be repaired by cutting out the damaged portion and rebuilding the bulb joint.
- In case the rubber tubing has torn apart, the only option left is to purchase the new set of resistance bands.
It is just not enough to read the above tips and move ahead.
The reason we recommend will let you analyze and make your own decision. My mission here is to empower you so that you are not misguided by unreliable sources.
Let me explain all the above three cases one by one –
➤ Case 1: The latex rubber of resistance band has got deteriorated
The latex rubber used in the resistance bands is a natural substance and made from living organisms. It is bound to get weak and lose elasticity with aging and usage over time.
Know more about latex and non-latex resistance bands in more details in this article – latex vs. non-latex resistance bands
Here are the kind of deterioration you may observe in the rubber tubing of exercise bands-
If any of such symptoms happen in your bands, unanimously, take the decision to replace them with a new set of resistance bands.
- The resistance bands have got discolored at some places. It might happen due to overstretching and aging of the bands.
- The surface of resistance bands is no longer smoother. You may notice these symptoms by touching the workout bands all along the length of latex tubing. You would find some patches where the rubber is rougher than other adjoining areas.
- There are visible cracks on rubber tubing near the handles and the anchor points due to repeated rubbing.
- The resistance bands have got stickier and attract lots of dust.
If you observe any of the above symptoms, it is time to replace your resistance bands with new ones.
Why are we recommending you to replace deteriorated resistance bands completely?
It has been found through vast research that the latex rubber once deteriorated can only be removed using alcoholic products. But it can never be repaired.
Here is a beneficial article we made (bookmark them for reading later) –
? PRO TIP –
Always observe your resistance bands regularly for signs of damage weekly or bi-monthly and replace them before you find resistance bands snapping right in your face.
➤ CASE 2: The bulb joint at the ends of resistance tube bands has got damaged.
As you can observe in this picture, there is a bulb-like joint made at the end of resistance tube bands. This bulb-shaped joint prevents the end of exercise bands from slipping out of the handle of resistance bands.
You would have observed that there is a small metal like ball inserted forcefully into the hollow rubber tube at the ends. In most of the cases, the rubber encasing this ball gets torn.
Here are the steps that need to be taken for repairing in such cases –
- Cut apart the damaged end of the resistance band and collect the metal ball you found from damaged bulb joint
- Make use of nose plier with pointed ends and insert it with both hands into the hollow end.
- Stretch the resistance band end to the point until the metal ball you collected from step 1 can be re-inserted in the resistance band at adequate depth.
- Take out the nose plier while metal ball stays inside fully secured under tension.
- Check the stability of the ball joint properly by simulating the actual resistance band exercise until you are fully assured about the strength of the joint.
? PRO TIP –
If you don’t want to go through the pain of following the above steps, you can also tie a knot at the end of the resistance band and secure inside the handle. However, such a temporary arrangement may not be as secure as the ball joint.
➤ CASE 3: The latex tube of resistance band has got broken entirely in two parts
The snapping of resistance bands from the rubber tubing is the result of symptoms mentioned in CASE 1 when those are completely ignored for months together.
No band would snap all of a sudden unless you have stretched them regularly way beyond the stretching limits of the resistance bands and mishandled.
Read this informative article to learn more about permissible limits for stretching of resistance bands – how far resistance bands can be stretched?
As also suggested earlier, the only way to repair such faults in rubber tubing is to replace the bands completely without any second thought.
NOTE – Here are the crucial guidelines issued by the culture of safety to prevent breakage of resistance bands – Resistance Bands Safety
FINAL WORDS –
Resistance bands are quite similar to tires of the bike and motor cars, which need to be replaced periodically after every few years depending upon the usage. You can’t go wrong by adopting cheaper ways to repair resistance bands, as you might be at the risk of severe injury.
|Always act proactively, be attentive, and figure out the issues before the resistance bands may injure you or dear ones. Only repair the resistance bands to the extent, we suggested. Don’t forget to apply your mind as results may vary from case to cause.|
The proactive measures for the safety of resistance bands have been covered at length in this detailed discussion –Are resistance bands safe?
RELATED QUESTIONS –
Can resistance bands be lubricated?
The lubrication with the right agent is useful for treating the natural rubber latex in case of rubber seals, bicycle chains, and other such household items. However, it is not as helpful and practical to lubricate the resistance bands as they may make handling of resistance bands more complicated and impractical.
How to prevent resistance bands from snapping?
Numerous factors contribute to the breaking down of resistance bands. It includes the storage conditions, handling, workout area, and quality of latex rubber used in resistance bands. The key steps involve keeping resistance bands away from direct sunlight, heat, stretching within limits, and using authorized anchoring systems only.
How to clean resistance bands?
It is not recommended to use soap, detergents, and alcoholic products, which reacts with natural rubber and spoils its elasticity. Always use a damp piece of cloth made with soft fabric to clean the resistance bands.
Do subscribe to unique addict for the latest update about most recent articles like above when published right in your inbox.
Share the knowledge with near and dear ones and spread the word.
Coming Soon – Best ways to store resistance bands